Monday, January 25, 2010

Freedom Hats

FREEDOM HATS

A few years ago my granddaughters took a class in knitting and immediately came home to tell me “Grandma you need to learn, “I calmly could hear myself say to them, “When I get old and sit around I will learn.”
Right after Christmas 2009 I sat and watched as my friend was making knitted hats for her boys with this little gadget called the Kniffy Knitter. I have been a seamstress for years and I knew I could do that quickly and it wouldn’t take forever, it seemed knitting took along time to finish. You would say I am a bit impatient. As I watched her quickly make a hat in a couple of hours it sparked my interest. Maybe this is not too bad after all!
After going and purchasing this knitter with yarn in hand I began. First, of course all my family members had hats and scarf’s to match. Then I found that Save the Children Organization needed hats for children in Africa. Before I knew it I was addicted, each time I was sitting down, in a meeting, watching T.V. or whatever, I was knitting. It relaxed me and gave me purpose knowing I was helping someone somewhere. With myself and several other ladies we filled a box with 140 hats to send off within a few months.
I tried to stop after that, but I could not do it! I had to continue. I have three baskets where the hats go when I finish each one.
In August 2009 I was preparing to go to our annual World Burn Congress for Burn Survivors. As I was getting my stuff together I looked over at the hats. “Hey,” I said to myself, “I can take
the hats and sell them to burn survivors for the Phoenix Society.”After getting permission the hats and I were off to New York City for our event. I quickly put them out on the Phoenix table
with a sign saying $10.00 donation and went onto my first session. I don’t remember how many hats there were, at least 30, but when I checked later that night most of the ladies hats were gone. At the end of the evening one of my longtime friends came up to me with tears in her eyes. She held me close and said “Thank you for the hat, I have not felt this free in along time.” As I looked at her pretty face I realized she was not wearing her wig but in place was a pretty hat with a flower on it. For the next few days there were many women coming up and thanking me for the hats. I never imagined that my addiction would make such a difference in
so many lives. I know that God has a purpose for all things..
Not long after I returned home I received an e-mail from my friend in SC that has replaced her wig with the hats. She runs a burn foundation and has reported that the Freedom Hats were a hit! “ Oh my Gosh”, I said to myself, “the Hats have a name”.
I pray that every Freedom Hat I make finds a home on a special head that needs warmth and Comfort, and will set them free, and brighten up their day!
Many Freedom Hats have been delivered to burn centers. They are being used in
Sacramento at the Shriner’s for children with tissue expanders in there little heads. Hopefully, they will bring a bit of happiness to an otherwise sad situation.
As long as there is a need I will continue to make Freedom Hats. I am a burn survivor and a family member of a burned husband, and I know personally every step of a burn injury. It is along journey with many adjustments to make along the way. These hats are a token of my love.

By: Susan Lugli

No comments:

Post a Comment